Saturday 12 May 2012

THE ARTISTS OF SUZHOU.

THE PAPER CUTTER.


The streets of the old town in Suzhou are a maze of vendors and stalls. Amongst these I encounter a Chinese artist who specializes in paper cutting. His displays feature many circular designs,  flowers, animals, intricate patterns and of course the Chinese zodiac motifs. I decide to purchase a DRAGON. Immediately this artist indicates he will produce my silhouette by cutting through black paper. I agree. At least I should be able to vouch for authenticity of his paper cut displays! 

I'm amazed at the swiftness of his fingers as the design emerges. On completion of my silhouette I encourage him to continue and paper cut Frances. A large crowd gathers to witness the magic of this artist and to capture the action with cameras. So impressed with this chap's skill am I that I purchase the silhouettes, 10 Dragons and one canal scene. This canal scene is identical to a view I had previously photographed as we ambled beside the canal so I could assert the authenticity of his art. In addition he has signed the work. The artist appreciates the transactions by presenting Arlo with a paper cut TIGER. 

Artist snipping the black paper to create the silhouette. 
The paper cutter with an incredible eye for detail. 
Cameras snapping the action.


STUDENT ARTISTS AT THE HUMBLE ADMINISTRATOR'S GARDEN

Many students are sketching various views of interest on my return to The Humble Administrator's Garden. These students assisted by their mentor sit at a variety of vantage points to best capture the many spring delights within the garden. Buildings,  such as temples and pavilions, rocks, paths, walk ways, water features, and trees enable the students to ponder on the best spot to unleash their talents. My poor photographic efforts paled into insignificance as I marvel at their skill and enjoyment in creating a visual experience on paper.

Click on the photos to enlarge for better detail.
Gather round the supervisor for ideas on the tasks ahead. 
Some ideas will include architecture design.
Students engrossed in the task at hand.  
The artists' sketches reveal better detail than that of a camera
Students are challenged to illustrate architectural detail.  
An ideal position to illustrate the beauty of the garden. 
Students engaging in the artistic tasks. 
Finding various comfy seating spots
to complete the workload.
 
An audience studying the expertise of the students. 
Students find a tranquil spot in which to knuckle the pencil on paper.
Scenes that inspire artistic drawing. 
Students absorbing the atmosphere of inspirational images.  
A pavilion inspiring students' etchings. 
'Tis great giggling while you photograph original drawing. 
The lone artist in an ideal spot for sketching. 
An example of superb drawing. 
Professor Zhang Yuan inspects a student's artistic effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment